This is going to be a super quick post. Quite frankly, because there isn’t an awful lot to say on the matter. It’s not a recipe in as much as it is a scientific method.
I love eggs in all of their wonderful forms but, until I found this method of cooking them, I only ate them poached when I ordered them when I was out.
Poached eggs are notoriously finicky, prone to ending up crap and (if I’m going to be honest) not really worth the effort. There’s also the fact that trying to pull an entire breakfast together around boiling water, stirring it, carefully cracking an egg in so it folds over on itself and cooking it just enough is an exercise in insanity.
That’s where this method of poaching eggs comes in! It’s bloody brilliant, literally uses only things you have in your house (so you don’t have to buy one of those crappy microwave egg poachers) and takes about 2 minutes! What more can you ask for? Me to come round and make them for you? Not likely, I’m too busy eating a plethora of poached eggs because now I can.
Like I said, short post. So let’s get to it!
Let’s poach eggs in the microwave…
You will need:
1 Egg (obviously)
1 Normal Sized Mug (that you’re comfortable putting in the microwave and possibly making smell like egg)
A Little Bit of Cold Water (The exact amount depends on the size of your mug; basically it’s about 2 inches of water in the bottom of the mug)
1 Side Plate (trust me, it’s necessary)
1 Microwave set at High Power
1 Slotted Spoon
See what I mean, it’s stuff you have. Unless you don’t have a mug and a plate, in which case… Wow, that is deeply saddening. I’m sorry. Hit me up and I’ll see if I can send you one of mine?
- Put cold water in mug
- Crack egg carefully into mug
- Put plate on top of mug
- Put in microwave
- Set microwave to 2minutes
- Check the egg at around 1 minute I REALLY FEEL THE NEED TO CAPITALISE THIS BIT! DO NOT LEAVE THE EGGS IN THE MICROWAVE FOR 1:30 MINUTES AND WANDER OFF! THAT THING WILL EXPLODE! NOT EVEN JOKING, JUST BOOOM! CHECK IT AFTER A MINUTE!
- Check every 20seconds until it looks done
- When it looks done, pour it all into the slotted spoon and let it drain off
- If it’s not fully done (here’s the best bit!) put water back in mug, carefully put egg back in, try for another 20 seconds
- When actually, properly done, pour back onto slotted spoon to drain and serve on toast with salmon, avocado and rapturous applause
It really is that simple to have poached eggs in 2minutes. Please send me any and all proof that I’m right because I love to be validated!